The Mermaid Serum - Anti-aging hydration serum
Where are my Mermaids?!
If your birthstone is a seashell and your spirit animal is a Mermaid, it's time to make waves and splash around in this one-of-a-kind Mermaid Serum. The Mermaid Serum is a hydration AND anti-aging serum that is packed full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and bionutrients from the sea. With ingredients like the coveted Sea Kelp Boiferment (the main ingredient in LA MER Miracle Broth), algae extract, Antarcticine, Hyaluronic acid, and Blue Green Algae, give your skin a Siren drink of water while slapping age in the face with that beautiful tail of yours.
IMPORTANT - Our plant based formula naturally ranges in color from almost clear to somewhat cloudy from batch to batch because Face Candy chooses not to hide these normal variations with artificial colors and synthetic stabilizers, to keep the formula as pure as possible, because the appearance of the ingredients has no impact on the effectiveness of the formula.
What it is and what it does:
- Collagen and fibroblast regeneration
- Superior hydration and aids in epidermal water retention
- Promotes wound healing
- Improves firmness
- Minimizes pores
- Detoxifies the skin
- Protects the skin from oxidative damage
- Excellent for all skin types... dry, oily, acneic, hormonal, and Rosacea
- Soothing and calming for psoriasis and eczema (follow with oil base product)
- Skin lightening and brightening (tyrosinase inhibitor)
Sea Kelp (Macrocystis pyrifera) is a sea macroalgae rich in caragenaan, algin and trace minerals. Sea Kelp Bioferment is a natural kelp extract that has been derived by fermentation of Sea Kelp using Lactobacillus. Fermentation breaks down the cellular tissue of the kelp leaf, thereby increasing the bioavailability of the naturally occurring chemical compounds abundant in sea kelp. This delicate process makes the cell contents of this algae readily available to your skin while moisturizing and providing nutrients. Fermentation and subsequent reduction of the kelp liquor results in the concentration of these vital nutrients.
- Superior oil-free moisturizer
- Bioavailable (able to penetrate the skin)
- Packed with bionutrients
- Rich in B12, fatty acids, Amino Acids, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Magnesium, Beta Carotene, Polyphenols, phlorotannins, and fucoidans
Our Sea Kelp Bioferment is created from Bull Kelp, grown in the wild and harvested from the Atlantic Coast of North America.
Face Candy uses an Algae extract blend that includes brown algae, red algae, green algae and blue green algae. Each nourishes the skin with vitamins and minerals and protects the skin from oxidative stress. The wide diversity in the unique composition of these different algae's provides an excellent variety of biologically active components with a broad range of physiological and biochemical characteristics, many of which are rare or absent in other taxonomic groups. In short, Algae is freaking amazing and....
- Rich in Vitamins A,B,C, and E
A Glycoprotein from the Antarctic Sea with cryoprotective, restructuring and antiwrinkle properties.
During the Antarctic summer of 1988, a Spanish scientific expedition collected mud samples from the inlet Admiralty Bay, on King George Island, Antarctica. A new bacterial strain (friendly bacteria!), Pseudoalteromonas Antarctica, was isolated from these samples and characterized. During growth, the bacteria produced an extracellular material (protective layer), an exopolymer of glycoproteins that help the bacteria retain water, adhere to surfaces, and withstand the harsh conditions.
In cosmetics, Antarcticine® maintains its natural bioprotective properties and promotes keratinocyte growth and fibroblast adhesion for a skin regenerating effect and enhanced wound healing.
In Vitro Test:
An in-vitro skin model composed of keratinocytes and fibroblasts was used to monitor the levels of Collagen I, Collagen IV, and Elastin. The proteins were measured by western blot.
- Collagen I increased 128% in 15 days
- Collagen IV increased 81% in 15 days
- Elastin Levels increased 31% in 15 days
What is Hyaluronic Acid (HA)? Hyaluronic Acid is a sugar molecule that is naturally occurring in all living things. It's capable of holding 1,000 times it's own weight in water, thus it's usage in skin care. Think of a dry sponge, while you add water to it, the sponge swells and holds the water in place. This is what HA does ON and IN your skin. Hyaluronic acid plumps up surface cells by pulling moisture (like a magnet) from your dermis (the lower layer of your skin) and the atmosphere. Because Face Candy uses both low molecular weight and high molecular weight hyaluronic acid, it also hydrates your lower layer of cells (basil layer), resulting in super soft, DEWY, BRIGHT, PLUMP, TIGHT, HYDRATED skin. You know... Like a mermaid's.
It's great for oily clients because it's oil-free and packed with WATER hydration. Since a lot of my oily clients don't use a moistirizer (a big no-no, by the way!) because they think they have enough "moisture" (their own oil), their skin is dehydrated and usually MORE OILY than it should be. Why Is it more oily than it should be? When you wash your face, you deplete the surface oil that your body produces to protect itself, if you don't replenish it with hydration or moisturizer (or both), your body will produce a "surge" of oil and quickly replenish it for you. The only problem is, this "surge" is an acute response and produces more oil than needed leaving you with a shiny, greasy mess on your face.
The Mermaid Serum is also great for my normal/dry clients because most of them are more concerned about replenishing the oil content in their skin (ie: heavier moisturizers and/or facial oils) and forget about the lack of water content in their skin. Since most of us DO NOT have an adequate amount of water (hydration) in our skin and recent studies have shown that only about 3% of our water consumption (internally/drinking) reaches our stratum corneum (the outer layer of skin), applying a topical solution to hydrate is a necessity for optimal function.
Now that we know pretty much everyone (oily, normal, combo and dry skin types) needs to supplement the water content in their skin, it doesn't stop there... water molecules are HUGE and will actually evaporate off of the surface of your skin (also known as TEWL - TransEpidermal Water Loss) unless you're applying a moisturizer, OR IN THIS CASE... we've added just a touch of glycerin to The Mermaid Serum to hold all of that thirst quenching water in place. Now that summer is upon us, my oily clients can use this as a daytime moisturizer.... my drier clients may still want to apply a moisturizer after applying The Mermaid Serum. It's a personal preference.
Blue Green Algae (Spirulina)
Yes, we added more Blue Green Algae on top of the algae extract blend... Why? Because Blue Green Algae is one of Earths perfect specimens and we wanted to incorporate the highest (suggested) concentration for usage in skin care (like we do ALL of our active ingredients).
Face Candy uses a wild harvested, fresh water, organic certified Blue Green Algae. This extraordinary single celled organism is highly bio-available (able to penetrate the skin) and contains a full spectrum of:
- B Vitamins
- Pro Vitamin A
- Essential amino acids
- Nucleic acids
- EPA fatty acids
Face Candy Sour... We'll never use or condone...
- Animal testing
- Oxybenzone (Save our coral reefs!)
- Artificial color
- Artificial flavor
- Over Selling... It's about keeping it simple, you shouldn't dread your skin care regimen because you have a bazillion steps. We'll only suggest the products you NEED and help you prioritize for what's realistic for your active lifestyle. The last thing we want is Face Candy just sitting on your shelf. If you're buying it, we want you to use it.
- Auto Draft your account... When you want more, just order more... We'll never do it for you.
Face Candy Sweetness... We trust in...
- Organic ingredients (when available)
- Fair Trade ingredients (when available)
- Fair pricing
- Pure ingredients (no fillers here!)
- Wild harvested ingredients
- Delicious all natural flavors
- All natural fragrance oils and pure essential oils
- All natural colors
- Safe synthetics
- Highest recommended percentage of active ingredients (by industry standards). For example: When clinical trials are performed with a specific ingredient at 2%-5% and the outcome was favorable... We use 5% of said active ingredient... we want your Face Candy products to have the highest concentrations of the best ingredients out there and we want YOU to see a more healthy skin. You'll never catch us adding a drop of this and a drop of that just so we can add it to our ingredient list.